Mercy

The Scripture

This past week, I heard a scripture (3 Nephi 17:2-3) read at a reunion of church friends. In the scripture, Jesus visits the people in ancient America. He tells them He has to return to His Father but will be with them again the next day. That would have been amazing by itself, but on my way home I read further.

Verses 5-7 read:
And it came to pass that when Jesus had thus spoken, he cast his eyes round about again on the multitude, and beheld they were in tears, and did look steadfastly upon him as if they would ask him to tarry a little longer with them. And he said unto them: Behold, my bowels are filled with compassion towards you… My bowels are filled with mercy.

This scripture says that the people wanted Jesus to stay longer. His response however, was what caught my attention. He said that His bowels were filled with compassion and mercy. Though I knew of compassion and mercy, I didn’t really understand them and wanted to go deeper. What is mercy?

My Search

I did a search and found that “mercy is the compassionate treatment of a person greater than what is deserved, and it is made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ…Because of this selfless act, the Father can mercifully withhold punishment from us and welcome us into His presence.”

Reading this description, I came to understand Christ’s love just a little bit better and how it related to His Atonement. I learned then, and through other experiences in my life, that God truly does love me. Christ loves me so much that He came to earth for me. He continues to help me and will never give up.

The Invitation

I searched for, and found this amazing definition, but I had also come to see and experience it in my life. Whether God and Christ seem distant to you, or if you are growing your relationship with them, they love you. I know this and I invite you to learn for yourself by asking God in prayer. He will answer. I know He will.


Resources

3 Nephi 17

Mercy